Tuesday, October 16, 2012

White Cane Day

Today was another first for Lucy--getting to participate in White Cane Day!  She attended with a group from her school district and got to march from the Capitol to City Hall and then to Republic Square park. 

Here is a clip from the local news station--if you look closely on the :03-:04 second of the clip, you can barely see Lucy in a gray t-shirt on the far right hand side of the video!  Her chaperone was the one cheering. 

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/white-cane-day-in-austin-empowering

And some information and history behind the day:

http://www.kvue.com/news/Austin-celebrates-White-Cane-Day-174395281.html

She marched there with her group and then I met her at City Hall with Caitlin. 

The mayor proclaimed Oct. 16 as White Cane Day and made a speech, and there were a lot of different agencies/corporations that were honored for their support. 

There was a large representation from the TSBVI and quite a few other kids of all age ranges.  We marched to the park and enjoyed many wonderful activities!

Fishing with one of the children's specialists from DARS
Playing bean bag toss with another specialist
They had a really neat interactive-type of Braille demonstration
And Schwann's was there handing out free ice cream and fruit pops!
We enjoyed lunch with our group and Lucy picked face-painting as her last activity
It was a blast!  Next year, I will park closer.  I parked at the Capitol thinking I would be there for the march, but it was 13 blocks back (uphill, in the rain, carrying a carseat and 4 bags, right after the stroller broke).  Ha! 






No comments: