Saturday, July 13, 2013

San Antonio

Since I had a 4-day weekend over the 4th, we decided to spend part of in joining up with family in San Antonio.  The first part of our day was spent at Morgan's Wonderland.  It was as exciting as it was last time!

Lucy caught a fish!!
J's 1st fish caught

Lucy with her granddad-helpers
Lucy's fish on the line
J got his name on the board for the most caught

Apparently they are easiest to catch when you use a Barbie pole

D and R chatting
DH's engineering project

The water construction area was one of Lucy's favorite areas
They had an indoor (air conditioned!) grocery store that was a hit

cute pic of the 3 grands

Lucy wanted me to take her picture so it looked like she had fairy wings
It was an awesome day, and a blessing to get to share it with our family.  We parted ways for a few hours so we could check into our hotel, cool off, swim, eat, etc.
Lucy swimming alone in the hot parking lot pool
I think I was trying to cram too much into one day.  :)  After swimming, Lucy got dressed and we walked the 1/2 mile to the Alamo.  DH was taking a nap and I didn't want her to miss seeing the interior (they close at 7 in the summer).  It was like dragging a 47 lb. whine machine along the seedy streets of downtown San Antonio.  Ha!

Lucy not wanting to take a picture

There is an impressive garden behind the Alamo
 After we returned from the Alamo, the 3 of us headed to the Riverwalk to eat at our old favorite, Casa Rio


There was a 30-minute wait--what better time to take a few pictures of our little family
I got my usual combo plate.  Tasted as good as always!
After dinner, we walked a little bit on the Riverwalk and back to the Alamo for a bit.

Tower of the Americas
My sister called while we were at the Alamo and invited us to their (nice) hotel so we could see the views.  They were on the 21st floor!
By this time, it was starting to get dark so we walked back to our hotel.  I think I fell asleep as soon as I climbed in bed.  :)

I woke up early the next morning for our free breakfast.  There happened to be an ambulance in the crowded parking lot to attend to another hotel guest.
My camera lens fogged up immediately in the heavy humidity
They had fruit loops!
We got packed up and checked out so we could attend services at St. John's.  There is a considerable amount of family history tied into this church.  My great-grandfather was the pastor here from 1913-1949, and my great-uncle was pastor from 1943-1956.  Some of the largest periods of growth in the church were during this time frame.  We also wanted to observe their children's church. 

The children were ushered into Wolff Chapel during the sermon and they had snack, bible time, prayer and an action story.  It was awesome!
After the service, we were invited to join the congregation for refreshments in the parish hall.  The pastor got everyone's attention and introduced us as the descendents of Rev. Wolff!  We were each given a hard-back copy of the History of St. John's from 1857-2007.  Countless people came up to us and said they or their parents were baptized/confirmed/married by our great-grandfather/great-uncle.  Happy memories were shared and we were treated like royalty!
Rev. Wolff's descendents in front of his portrait
The interior of Wolff chapel
Those crazy great-great-grandchildren...

The view from the balcony
It was an amazing trip and I am so happy we were able to worship here!

1 comment:

DLUX 247 said...

Super exciting! I didn't know you were famous :)