Friday, July 26, 2013

VBS and more!

I have been overwhelmingly busy for the past 2 weeks so it's nice to slow down and put up a blog post!

We were gifted a very large aquarium a few weekends ago and have filled it with an assortment of fish and snails.  Jellybean was very interested in the fish!  (the water cleared up within a day with the filters)


He loves to sit on top and watch them swim
We are still waiting for our plumbers to finish their tunneling project.  They started the job 23 days ago and we want it done!  The rains filled the tunnel with lots of water, which had to be pumped out.
That top part is the bottom of our slab--you can barely see the pier holding the house up.
We didn't have anything planned for last weekend so my sister invited me and Lucy to join them at Lake Pflugerville for her 20th high school reunion family day.  I had never swam in this lake before and can't wait to go back!  It was fun and free!
We also rented a kayak

It was quite a work out but fun!  Especially after nephew #2 dumped the kayak with me in it.  :)

DH and Lucy went to the pet store afterwards and picked up a few new fish and snails for our aquarium
the fish getting dumped in
The next day was Sunday and at church my Aunt Carol asked if we wanted to go swimming at their place after lunch.  Yes!  We spent 2 hours at their pool and Lucy swam with various 2nd cousins.  Then our cousin's husband invited us to Palm Valley's softball game, played at the local Catholic church.
Shayne  batting
He reminded me of nephew #1 in 20 years...still eager to play!

On the way home, I caught the McNeil bridge bats coming out for the evening
The next day was the start of our church's VBS program. 
I was blessed with these two 7th grade helpers that LOVE babies!  Ryan and Chelsea were in heaven!
That evening I returned to church for my last class and mini-commissioning to be a Stephen Minister!  We are ready to go!  Thanks to Pat, Steve, Mary and Ann for such support and friendship through the last 19 weeks!
And thanks to Nancy and Chris (and Paula) for leading us!
This week has been crazy and I finally got around to tending to the yard.  I realized the figs were ready!
I made a fig cake with fig topping.  It is soooo good!
And to add a little more crazy to my week, I adopted 7 adult hens!  A freecycle came up yesterday for 7 laying hens, plus a coop and a bag of feed.  I couldn't turn it down.  :)  I enlisted some help and got the coop and hens home.  They are docile and friendly and we've already gotten 2 eggs--yay!
The girls roosting for their first night
And today was the last day of VBS--sad and sweet at the same time. 
And to add to our family winning streak--Lucy's name was drawn for a CD!
And the funny thing is that Lucy's leader went to high school with her daddy.  And the girl that helped me in the nursery has a grandma that gave me piano lessons.  Another helper in the nursery had a grandpa that served as a pastor at the same Lutheran church as my great-grandfather!  I love roots and being connected somehow to everyone!

It was also "splash day" so Lucy got to wear her swim suit
I saw 3 other girls that had Lucy's exact swim suit!

No comments: