Wednesday, May 29, 2013

vision appointment

Lucy had a good 6-month eye appointment yesterday.  It was a "dilation" appointment...not our favorite but she did okay!  It was the first time I didn't have to hold her down (although I did have to hold her hands).  Those drops sting!  It was a long appointment, but she had a good report.  Her glaucoma test came back in the normal range and she passed the other tests as well.  She still gets frustrated when she can't see letters since she wants to get everything right, especially when they keep making her use that pesky right eye.  :)  She read most of the 20/40 letters with her strong eye and one 20/250 in her weaker eye (with her glasses on).  Sadly, she can't even read the "E" with her glasses off with either eye, but I've made peace with it.  The doctor brought in an intern to observe her coloboma during her red reflex test...even I could see the missing part between the 2 o'clock and 6 o'clock in her lens.  Her prescription is identical to the one she had last year (-15 and -16) and we went to the eyeglasses store to pick out a sparkly lavender frame that can hold her bulky lenses. 
Eyes starting to get dilated
Waiting for the doctor
My rock star, post-appointment
Other happenings of this week:
Making 3-D paints with Jellybean
It's a really neat craft--mix 1T. salt, 1T. self-rising flour and 3t. water, with food coloring.  She painted it on pieces of cardboard and we microwaved it for 45 seconds, which made the painting "puffy".  I'm always looking for ideas since summer is just days away!

We spent the weekend at my folk's house in the country.  The kids found an even bigger toad than the ones we have! 
We let this one go to do it's important work in the country!

We went to the Serbin Picnic on Sunday after church.  I'm glad my daddy could make it since he's been having so many problems with swelling and getting around. 
Lucy fanning her Poppy to keep cool
Lucy fanning her aunt
They went to the snow cone booth all by themselves!
And the picnic had all sorts of kid games and activities, but the favorite one was the pile of sand by our lunch area. 
  
The kids used water from the faucet to make mud in the sand pile.  Oh dear!
I also got to hold my 1st cousin once removed, Allison!  (Lucy's 2nd cousin)  She's a darling!
We headed back to Nena and Poppy's house for the night only to stumble upon 2 rat snakes. 
"Ratty" climbing into the tree hole
It was an adventure! 

A few other highlights:

We've stumbled upon MANY grub worms in our garden--perfect for feeding our toads!
Lucy helped make whole wheat bread
I made a Memorial Day feast on Monday
And with the grilled chicken that I made on Monday, I turned into Wednesday night's chicken salad with the aid of Mema's old-fashioned meat grinder.  It took some muscle!

No comments: