Saturday, March 21, 2015

Boston, Day 8

We chose our last full day in Boston to tour the USS Constitution as that was the first day of our visit that it was open.  We took the subway to the Bunker Hill monument to tour that first.

DH explaining the American strategy to withhold fire

view from the street
She liked that the redoubt corner was "thrown up" on her birthday
Lucy and I decided to be brave and climb the 294 steps to the top of the monument.  I got some impressive pictures from up there although it was hard for me to get too close to the windows with my vertigo.
she walked up the steps so fast!
Impressive views

I loved that we made it to the top!
She was proud, too!!

Ready to go down?
State of Col. William Prescott at the base
pretending to march in line
I adore the little neighborhoods around Bunker Hill--narrow streets, cute brownstones

Next, we walked to the USS Constitution.  Lucy found plenty of snow mountains to climb on the way!
sliding down

posing...

DH and Lucy in front of Old Ironsides
Last walk on the Freedom Trail

walking past Charlestown memorial
It was an enjoyable but very cold afternoon.  Even when we went below deck on the USS Constitution, we could still see our breath!
We ate an early dinner at "99 Restaurant&Pub" in Charlestown.  They had a $5 burger deal, so the 3 of us ate for $10 total!
Mine had BBQ sauce and Vermont cheddar--yum!
 On the way back, I wanted to capture the interesting tunnels under the city that made up the subway/transit system.  Many of the tunnels are color-coded and occasionally there were rainbow-colored tunnels.  Lucy loved it!
people were always in a hurry
Our last ride on the subway--tired but happy!
The next morning, I woke up and checked our flight status only to find out our flight had been canceled!  Yikes.  Instead of going to NJ, we flew from Logan to Houston.  It ended up being a shorter layover and a later flight time, so everything worked out. 
Line at Logan--LOVED this airport.  Hope to get a layover here someday--very modern, lots of conveniences. 
The flight from Boston to Houston was pretty long.  It was the only flight where the 3 of us were separated.  I ended up having to seat Lucy with a grandmotherly-type in front of me--all 3 of us were in "middle" seats.  The sweet lady helped Lucy with her drinks, helped her pick up her spilled art box, etc.  Since it was an overbooked/rescheduled flight, there weren't too many options.  At least we had a nice trip from Houston to Austin!
Houston layover--do I look exhausted?
It was so funny since it was still freezing when we left Boston (our flight had been canceled due to Winter Storm Ultima, ironically on the first day of Spring)...and when we landed in Houston, the bluebonnets were blooming and we were sweltering with humidity. 
plane over Austin
picture of Lucy after we landed in Austin--hooray!!
What an awesome experience!  Lucy wrote this note when we got home:
Let's party indeed.  Love her!

No comments: